Getting Started

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 6 09:46:14 EST 2007

Quoting David Keegan <dksw at eircom.net>:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to use QIF (or some other) import to set up the initial
> Account Hierarchy?

Is the File -> New File druid not sufficient?

You CAN use the QIF importer to create your hierarchy, but Quicken isn't
very good about building a hierarchy, so it's likely all your income
and expense accounts will be at the top-level instead of in a hierarchy.
Also, the importer will only create accounts that have actual transactions.
It wont create empty accounts.

> I understand gnucash supports extension via scheme. How do I execute
> my scheme code? Is there an API available to my scheme code for accessing
> accounting functions?

It does.  You can load arbitrary scheme in your ~/.gnucash/config.user
There IS a scheme API for accessing accounting functions, but it's only
semi-documented (and it's changed between 2.0 and what's in trunk).