Multi-currency advice

Cory Helfrich coryhelfrich at yahoo.ca
Sat Feb 10 06:19:39 EST 2007

Hello,

I have been using gnucash for a couple of weeks now. I really like
the software as I find it much better than Quicken.

Now, to my question. I am an expatriate, so I get paid in CAD. All of
my credit cards and investments are in CAD. However, most of my
expenses are paid in cash in two different currencies. What is the
best way to represent this is gnucash? I presently have accounts
Expense:Food:Groceries (with currency CAD),
Expense:Food:Groceries:Curr2 and Expense:Food:Groceries:Curr3. This
makes data entry (and import from Quicken) simple (no exchange rate
for every transaction), but the totals from the Curr2 and Curr3
accounts are rolled up at the present exchange rate, which is not
really correct. Note that this is the way Quicken handles these
expenses. Also, this method greatly increases the number of accounts
within gnucash. The expenses should really be rolled up at the
exchange rate that I paid for the Curr2 and Curr3 cash, correct? Can
anyone give me some advice as the the best way to set up my chart of
accounts?

Thanks,
Cory Helfrich
coryhelfrich at yahoo.ca