A/R and payments

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Feb 11 16:42:49 EST 2007

Quoting Baurzhan Ismagulov <ibr at radix50.net>:

> On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 03:08:00PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> >All accounts -- A/R, transfer account, income account -- are in EUR.
>>
>> What's your Customer currrency setting?
>
> Aha, after I changed the Customer's currency to EUR, I can see the newly
> added invoices in the A/R with the correct Invoice value. Thanks!

Makes sense...

>> What's your LANG (locale) setting?
>
> LANG=
> LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
> LC_TIME="POSIX"
> LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
> LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
> LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
> LC_PAPER="POSIX"
> LC_NAME="POSIX"
> LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
> LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
> LC_ALL=

OH!  Well, that explains the USD...

> I still have some issues:
>
> * I would expect that GnuCash refuses to post an invoice to an A/R
>  account in another currency. Is the current behavior how it is
>  intended to work?

Well, depends on exactly what you mean by "intended".  The business
system was designed with only a single currency in mind.  I.e.,
the business code is NOT multi-currency-safe.  But it doesn't enforce
the single-currency, and when you, the user, screw it up and don't
maintain consistency then it wont work right, which is the behavior
you saw.

> * The Customer Report sometimes shows the list with both USD and EUR,
>  and sometimes it doesn't show the EUR invoices.

This is probably because you've got a mixed currency system.  Your locale
currency is USD.  Change that to EUR and you'll probably be MUCH happier.
(note that you need to change this in your LOCALE, not in gnucash).

> * Is it possible to delete Customers and Invoices?

Nope.  But you can mark them "inactive" so they no longer show up
on the default searches.

> * It would be nice to have Customer and Invoice listings just like
>  transactions, so that it's possible to see all of them without having
>  to search them.

Noted, but unlikely to ever happen unless someone donates the code.
Note that you DO have the aging reports which can list customers, and
from there you can get to a list of customer's invoices, and from there
to the individual invoices...