Another crash

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 08:17:03 EST 2007

I don't know if this is related to the 2.0.4 crash that I reported a day or
so ago, but I've just seen another one with a common attribute. This time, I
was running 2.0.1, the Gentoo "stable" version. Similar circumstance: going
through an investment account statement. I encountered a dividend on a
security that had been recently purchased, so this was its first dividend
and thus there was no income account for it. I entered the dividend in the
main brokerage asset account, using an existing income account. I then added
a new income account for this security and went back to the brokerage
account, opened the dividend transaction, changed the income account to be
the newly-added correct one and clicked "Enter". Boom. I restarted gnucash,
replayed the log file (which got me the dividend transaction with the wrong
income account), saved, re-entered the new income account, saved, went back
to correct the income account in the dividend transaction and it crashed
again. Next, I restarted gnucash, and since I'd saved after creating the new
income account, I just went to the dividend transaction and corrected the
income account. This time I was able to enter the transaction without
incident.

The common attribute of this problem and the previously reported one is that
both crashes occurred after adding a new income account (I don't know if the
fact that it was an income account is important; if I had to guess, I'd say
no). I'm guessing that adding an account is planting a time-bomb in an
internal data-structure that causes gnucash to blow up when that account is
referenced. I can tell you that I have done the operation described in the
paragraph above (entering a dividend, discovering that this is the first
occurrence, using a place-holder income account, creating the correct income
account, going back and fixing the dividend transaction) many times before,
both with 1.8.x and 2.0.x (in fact, I was the one who entered the bug report
for 1.8.x complaining that if you had an open register for an account and
added a new account, the open register would not display that new account in
the transfer-column pulldown -- this has been fixed in 2.0.x -- thank you)
and I have never seen this crash before.

I can try to get you a stack trace, as Derek suggested in connection with
the previous crash. How would I do that? Run gnucash under gdb? My system is
set up pretty minimally. I am not using gnome or kde (I am allergic to
bloat), just twm set up the way I like it. I don't have "Bug Buddy" (or
whatever that thing is called) installed.

/Don