Too many .log and .xac files

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Feb 14 17:26:28 EST 2007

On Wednesday 14 Feb 2007, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> On Thursday 15 February 2007 06:43, Josh Sled wrote:
> > I also think the default value of retaining 30 days worth of backups is
> > way overkill, and leads to more user irritation than safety.  As such,
> > I've been meaning to propose lowering it to 1 for future releases.
> > Objection?
>
> You may not find a data loss problem until reconciliation. Because some
> things, like statements come at about 30 day intervals you could have not
> enough backups.
> They were a user of hard drive space before they were compressed. My whole
> gnucash directory is less than 40MB, which in the days of 200GB+ HDD is not
> a lot. 5MB of that is last years account summaries before I burnt to CD. I
> haven't archived anything and have over 10 years of data.

I agree.
One day of backup data file seems like too few to leave as a default, and I
have found that when I had inconsistent data files, it has taken me longer to
notice than one day.

How about changing the option to have a "retain backups for X days, but only
keep the last N files" setting  - might help keep the directories tidy for
those who prefer it that way. (is that even easy logic to implement in the
code?)

Personally, I'd rather have "spare" backups of my GC data, especially the
business file. 30 days is a cautious but reasonable default, IMHO.

Cheers,
Maf.