File export

Bob Allen boballen2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 08:16:34 EST 2007

I don't know if this is a good idea or not but it seems to have worked for
me.

FIRST back up your data file!!!

mine is called acme

cp acme new_acme.gz              you need the .gz to unzip the file

Then gunzip new_acme

Then using your favorite editor find the first line starting
<gnc:transaction....
and the find the last line starting   </gnc:transaction....

and delete everything in between including those lines.

In vi I did...

/<gnc:transaction
(control) g                          and note the line number at the bottom
of the screen e.g. 823
(shift) g                              to get to the last line
?</gnc:transaction             Searches backwards
(control) g                          and note the line number at the bottom
e.g. 128458
:823,128458d                     to delete lines 823 - 128458
:wq                                   write and quit

now
gzip new_acme
mv new_acme.gz new_acme

As I said it seams to have worked for me but I haven't tested everything
yet. Maybe there is something in the middle that also got deleted. A better
way would be to do this in perl but I'm not familiar enough with perl.

HTH Bob.