New install of gnucash

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Thu Jan 11 09:21:17 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 07:09 -0600, Robert Ramsdell wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 08:36 +1030, Brian wrote:
> > I have copied over the .gnucash directory along with the whole directory
> > containing my main accounts file. The .gnome directory does not exist on
> > this system - but .gnome2 does. So I have not copied this directory over as
> > yet.
>
> You should only have to copy over and open your one main file.  I've
> been using the same file for several different versions (and distros)
> with no problems (I always have backups of course).
>
> The .gnucash directory is not necessary, although I think that you will
> lose any custom reports or configuration.

It's probably a good idea to copy ~/.gnucash/ over as well, though as
Roberts say, it's not strictly necessary.  I'd personally leave
~/.gnome{,2}/ directories alone, which would

> > Gnucash starts up with the dialogue "To-Create Transaction Preparation". It
> > lists all of the monthly automatic transactions I have set up since starting the
> > business account. Beside each it says "ready to create". Does this sound
> > right, or is it duplicating something already in place ?
>
> How much time has elapsed?  Might it think that it is time for all of
> these?  This info is in you main file BTW, not in .gnucash.

It sounds like you setup scheduled transactions, but never ran the
"since last run" processing to actually create the transactions.  If
you've already entered them manually instead, then you probably want to
change them all to "Ignore"; if you haven't, you probably want to leave
them in "Ready ...", review and create them.

In the GnuCash 2.x configuration, the "run since last run at gnucash
startup" option is True by default, which would trigger it as you see.
I believe it was off/False by deafult in 1.8.  So as you started up with
2.x, it used the default settings value, and ran the dialog at start-up.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled;b=asynchronous.org;echo ${a}@${b}