GnuCash crashes when importing QIF file

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Sat Jan 20 19:14:38 EST 2007

Sent the QIF privately, but will still file a bug report to put it in the
system.

I just tried deleting everything above the "Type: Bank" line.  It still
crashed immediately.  It seems as though my problem arises from the QIF
exported by KMymoney.  Perhaps I should be filing a bug report there.  Since
the QIF file has no set form, Gnucash probably can't account for all the
variations.  I looked on Quicken's site and Wikipedia, with no precedent
available, and no description of the tags.  The Australian banks (or the two
I have accounts with) have tailored their QIFs to suit the Australian version
of Quicken, and I can import them into Gnucash without any problems.  Perhaps
things are different on the Continent.

About the only thing that I miss from Gnucash is QIF export.  I am keeping my
reference records under Quicken 2005, but am in Linux most of the time, so I
sometimes need to synchronize the two.  KMymoney is closer to Quicken, but
doesn't seem to be as well-developed as Gnucash.  I find its interface
difficult as well, and at 60+, my mind isn't nimble enough to adapt.  I will
be staying with Gnucash, so this bug won't worry me personally.

OT: The other thing that I find difficult is the "Deposit" and "Withdrawal"
headings in the Ledger.  Whether they are a debit or a credit depends on the
account, and I keep getting them back to front.  For this reason, I use the
default single-line entry most of the time.  I suppose that since Bank is an
Asset and a debit, that should control my thinking.

Doug.

I am a part of all that I have met.
   - Lord Tennyson, "Ulysses."