Virtual accounts?

David Brown gnucash at davidb.org
Tue Jan 23 18:12:25 EST 2007

Ron Morse wrote:

> Would split transactions do what you want?  Create your virtual
> accounts as subs under your checking or savings account.  Money
> moving into or out of the real account would, under GnuCash, get
> split to the various subs as desired. The sum of the splits should
> reflect the single transaction the bank sees.

I tried doing this for a while, and it ended up making my register almost
unreadable.

What I currently do is that I create subaccounts under my savings account.
All real transactions move into the savings account, and never into the
subaccount.  Then, I have my own transactions between the savings account
and the sub accounts.

I guess this means that they really aren't sub accounts, since I don't
reconcile them (I can clear things when they are matched up), but it lets
me look at my top level account and see my balance.  When I was putting
money directly into the sub accounts, I couldn't find an easy way to even
find the balance.

It'd be nice if it worked better, but at this point, I'm not even sure what
that would mean.  My current approach works better than anything I've tried
before.

Dave