Importing mis-match

Keith pdragon at pdragon.net
Thu Jul 19 10:28:41 EDT 2007

I use Gnucash for just basic checking account and credit card balance
tracking. My bank lets me download .ofx data and I just import that into
Gnucash to make entries and, at the end of the month, reconcile. One odd
thing I've noticed, though, is when importing my paycheck transactions. I
get paid a fixed amount twice a month, so the amount is always the same. I
typically don't enter my paycheck information in manually, and just let the
OFX import put it in. The problem is Gnucash keeps trying to auto-match &
reconcile my paycheck to old, previously imported paycheck transactions.
Even when they've already been cleared and/or reconciled. If I don't
manually change this to a new entry on the import screen, it's never
actually imported. And if I try to re-import again, Gnucash has somehow
associated my new paycheck transaction with the old, previous entry. So far,
thankfully, I've been able to catch this every time it happens (I notice I
have A LOT less money than I should) and just close Gnucash without saving
and reimport, fixing the incorrect match. If I hadn't ever caught this, I
honestly don't know how I could fix it. I could just manually enter the
paycheck in, I guess, but then I'm not sure if reconciling would work in the
end because I don't know what Gnucash did with that previous transaction.
It's somehow associated with another transaction, but I don't know how.

Why is Gnucash matching to previous transactions that were either already
cleared or even reconciled? Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

I started using Gnucash with the 2.1.1 beta and just last night upgraded
2.2.0 stable. It's done this consistently through every version and still
does it with the new stable.

Thanks in advance!

Keith