OFX import not matching previous selections

Don Coleman don at coleman.org
Thu Jul 19 22:02:00 EDT 2007

Is there anyplace where the bayesian matching system as it functions in
gnucash is described, from the perspective of a naive user?

Every month I have 6 deposits to the same account, where most have
unique amount fields, and those that don't, have unique Description fields.

A year ago, I think gnucash was much better about matching what income
accounts should be used -- I may be confused on this though, because
much of my "first years" data was actually entered in manually, not by
the OFX import system.  I currently have about 2 and half years of data
entered.

But now it certainly almost never guesses correctly.

As a naive user, I figure that:

1) recent accepted auto matches or manual choices should be weighted
much stronger than past ones, and it should take a couple manual
overrides before it stops suggesting old matches.
2) both the Description and the Deposit/Withdrawal amounts should be
used in the match algorithm.

Is this not how it basically works?

I have bayesian matching enabled, with the match display, auto-add and
auto-clear set to 1, 3 and 6 respectively.

I've read about the red/green zone stuff, but don't really understand
it... this has something to do with the colored bar that is shown on the
auto matches?

Since I only import stuff once a month, my memory always fades a bit in
the 30 days, and I'm focused on getting my data entered, not really
intensely scrutinizing the vagaries of gnucash.

Is there some place this is documented?

Is there a mechanism for manually tweaking it?
Can I look DB the contains the rules and/or the matches and their
weightings?
Is there a way I can reset it, so at least I know I'm starting from scratch?

Given the regularity of the deposits I get, I'd be perfectly happy
setting up matching rules manually, though I guess there is no way to do
that...

Thanks for any help,
don