Introduction -- New to GnuCash (no problems yet)

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 20 14:31:50 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 09:27:24AM -0500, Dale Alspach wrote:
> Going with an Intuit product is definitely caveat
> emptor.

I have to put this in whenever I see a statement like above: you have
to watch the math in intuit products. If you don't subscribe to their
"services" you may end up with automatic calculations that are
incorrect.

I used to use their payroll system and paid for the service of
downloading tax rates. That was all fine and dandy, but when i stopped
using the service and began building my own tax tables (not hard),
there started to be mysterious math errors. It took me a long time to
figure it out, but the short version is that despite taxes being setup
properly the amounts withheld were incorrect. I can only attribute to
a loss of significant digits in the math being performed to calculate
taxes. I could manually calculate the amounts and get a different
result than intuit was producing. That was lovely and its what
solidified my decision to move away from them forever. FWIW, these
manually configured taxes were in existence during the period when I
was subscribing to their service as they were taxes that were not part
of the service. They worked fine until I dumped the service and then
all the sudden, they didn't work. bleh.

.02