Aha!

keith keith at bellairs.org
Sun Jul 22 21:49:20 EDT 2007

Actually there is more than one place where you see a list of accounts.
You see it when you are in the Edit Account window (select parent
account), when you are selecting an account in a transaction/split, when
you are selecting an account to match an imported QIF/OFX/QFX
transaction. These "utility" lists of accounts seem to come up
alphabetical for me. I'd be pretty surprised (but pleasantly) if these
followed the arbitrary sort order of the main accounts window.

Keith