Next questions (fuller information)

Andreas Köhler andi5.py at gmx.net
Tue Jul 24 02:37:51 EDT 2007

Hi,

Am Montag, den 23.07.2007, 22:16 -0400 schrieb Mike or Penny Novack:
> Well now, in c:\program files\gnucash\ I can see a gconf-2.exe and a
> gconftool-2.exe
>
> IF these were intended to be run by the end user (not called by the main
> program) then there is at least one minor problem with the install as at
> the GUI view of the program folder, only six shortcuts there:
> FAQ (online)
> GnuCash
> Install Online Price Retrieval
> Rep on a bug (online)
> Show README
> Uninstall GnuCash

No, gconfd-2.exe is spawned by the program, you should not need to care.
gconftool-2.exe is a command line tool for doing gconf stuff (spawn,
shutdown, set/get key values and so on)---just open up cmd.exe and use
"gconftool-2 --help".

BTW, you should see two gconfd-2.exe processes (I am sorry, I did not
follow the thread closely enough).  The parent one is from libexec\ and
spawns bin\gconfd-2.exe, because there is where all the DLLs live.
Think of "DLL hell" here.

So, as you have not been able to store settings anyway, what happens if
you kill all gconfd-2.exe processes, remove $home\.gconf, $home\.gconfd
and restart gnucash?

I expect gnucash starts up reasonable fast, so you do not see our still
unsolved problem with ORBit2 (let us hope the update for 2.2.1 helps us
a bit)?  You could also try to get and set a few keys using gconftool-2
only.

-- andi5