Next questions (fuller information)

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Jul 24 10:24:10 EDT 2007

>I'd suggest, in the spirit of checking it off your list, running GnuCash
>as an admin user and determining if the preference changes you make are
>saved.

LOL --- that was already on my "to do" list for today. I planned, if
that worked, to look at the saved_state file produced and possibly try
temporarily copying it (sometimes these things have a "header" portion
and it's not the save changes itself that isn't running but failure of
the "initialization" process to construct a file that could have state
data added to it).

>Windows XP almost expects (almost...) everything to run as admin
>- I had to change a user at a client's today as the Symantec Live Update
>utility wouldn't run as a non-privileged user.

UH -- I would strongly disagree. If GnuCash isn't saving the settings
(settings for this user only, data stored in this user's data area) then
the "permissions" error is GnuCash's, not Windows.

Your example was different. I would say that Windows was behaving
correctly in this case as the Symantec update would be global (I think).
Only sysadmins (logged in as such) should be able to install (globally
available) software or other data intended to be global. There is an
issue with the "live update" concept. It's not WINDOWS making an error
but the sender of the update who is incorrectly assuming that there is
at the moment an "administrator" logged in. People SHOULDN'T be doing
"users work" while logged in with administrator rights and the fact that
most Windows users do is one of the reasons why they keep getting
clobbered.

PROPER behavior of the sender of updates would be a third option besides
"reject" and "accept" (an the latter should have text saying "if
currently logged in as an administrator". That third option should be
something like "retransmit in X minutes" (maybe allowing X to be edited)
to allow the user to change logins. And no, this is not a Windows
problem per se. I would be having just as much trouble with the updates
HP keeps trying to send me were I running a "nix and they weren't
allowing me oportunity  to "su" an administrator session.

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.