announcing python bindings for GnuCash

Mark Jenkins mark at parit.ca
Wed Mar 7 15:18:25 EST 2007

Hello GnuCash user list and friends,

I've been working on python bindings for GnuCash off and on for the last
 9 months. Today they reached the point where I was comfortable turning
this project into a *public* free software project.

http://www.parit.ca/projects/pythongnucash/

That website has been up for awhile, but not kept up to date or well
advertised until today. If you've tried to download and build it before,
I would not anticipate that you had succeeded. The build process has now
been improved and documented. It still isn't completely automagical,
more work is needed. The SWIG work by the gnucash developers will help
this too.

Goals for the 1.0 release:
- Support all of the core GnuCash entities and the business entities
- Good documentation
- Well tested
- A nice object oriented pythonic api
- Easy installation/packaging for a variety of free operating systems

Here's the source.
http://www.parit.ca/projects/pythongnucash/python-gnucash-0.7.55.tar.gz

I've applied for a savannah site so that development can become
collaborative. They'll be a mailing list and CVS access.
https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?6593

Attached is an example script of the bindings in action.
(found in examples/example_AP_report.py in the tarball)
Output:
Your balance with Electric Company is $150.0

Mark Jenkins
ParIT Worker Co-operative
mark at parit.ca

cc fellow ParITistas
bcc people who I've discussed this with in the past, hope I didn't miss
anyone...