Investment question...

Beth Leonard beth at oasis.slimy.com
Sat May 12 15:31:23 EDT 2007

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 10:11:46AM -0500, Eric Ladner wrote:
> My company has a stock match plan where they pitch in and match a
> portion of the money that I put into it.
>
> Where would that money come from?  The only thing I can think of is
> maybe creating an Equity account to pull it from, but I'm not sure if
> that's right.  I don't really want to have to keep track of the other
> side of the money they're giving me, but I understand that the double
> entry accounting requires it to be so.
>
> What's a best practice for that?

It should come from an Income account.  The question to ask yourself
is, "How is that money taxed?" and create the appropriate income
account for it.  If it's a match going into your 401K that is not
taxed, "Income:Non-taxable:401K match" is a good place for it.  If
it shows up as taxable salary/benefits on your W2, then Income:Salary
or Income:Benefits is more appropriate.

--Beth
Beth Leonard
http://www.LeonardFamilyVideos.com