ACCOUNTING practice question

Lewis Overton akakie at gmail.com
Sat May 19 15:31:46 EDT 2007

I'm the treasurer for a non-profit community band. We have now received our
first grant specifically for purchase of music, so I need to set up a way to
track the funds. Rather than blunder ahead blindly, I thought I would ask
how others do it.

We have one bank account for cash. The real money goes there. I want to use
gnc2.0.4 to reconcile the bank account.

The source is in accounts tracking kind of donor (individual, corporate,
government, etc.).

Contributions for music come in three classes: any kind, music for the jazz
band, (potentially) music for the concert/park bands.

I presume I need accounts for temp-restricted assets: jazz music, concert
music, any music.

UCOA v3 includes accounts:

3110    Use restricted net assets    Control accounts for program restricted
grants    equity
3110    Use restricted net assets    Net assets - temporarily restricted for
programs    equity
3110    Use restricted net assets    Temporarily restricted net assets -
programs    equity
3110    Use restricted net assets    Use restricted net assets    equity

Suggestions for how to structure this using GnuCash (which I really like)
appreciated.

Lewy