ACCOUNTING practice question

Lewis Overton akakie at gmail.com
Sun May 20 15:35:39 EDT 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. I took a cursory look at the two *nix programs
you mentioned and may decide to switch. I'm running on a MacBook under
X-Win, so those are possible and may have advantages (shared SQL database).
At the moment, though, I'm at a more basic level, trying to cope with the
underlying accounting.

Suppose I get $100 from MaryJane for jazz music. I record this:
Debit bank account $100
Credit contributions:direct:from individuals $100

Now it seems I need to move something around to separate this $100 from
general funds. Here is where I'm confused. I still need to reconcile with
the bank. Can I somehow divide the cash asset between unrestricted and
use-unrestricted and still reconcile? This seems intuitively reasonable, but
what does my intuition know about accounting? :-/

Or do I create something else somewhere to do the tracking?

My experience is very limited and training is very old (read forgotten).
Local help is minimal here. That's why I'm asking here. I hope I'm not
stretching the forum too much by asking for this kind of help.

Lewy