Enabling Online Securities Quotes

Oliver E. Seikel Zoar1951-news at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 10:59:51 EST 2007

Fred:

Fred's comments:

> 1. Run Start->Programs->Gnucash->Install Online Price Retrieval. That
> will fix the first problem (by installing and configuring
> Finance::Quote). gnc-fq-update is a *nix component.
> 2. For each commodity, tell Gnucash (Tools->Security Editor) where to go
> for the quotes and what code to use.

Thanks for the information which led to a solution.

When trying the install, I got an error message:

"Did not find a usable perl.
Please install ActivePerl (http://www.activestate.com/store/activeperl)
and add the bin directory to your Path environment variable."

I went to the indicated URL and downloaded and installed:
ActivePerl-5.8.8.822-MSWin32-x86-280952.msi

After the installation, I followed your instructions, and I am now able
to download quotes.

One observation:  I was able to download quotes for an ADR from Yahoo
(NSRGY.PK), which I am not able to do with Quicken even though Quicken
purportedly downloads from Yahoo.

Oliver