build gnucash on Leopard?

David Reed dave256 at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 12 15:08:40 EST 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:52:41 -0900, "Lewis Overton" <akakie at gmail.com>
said:
> I'm attempting to install the current stable GnuCash on a MacBook running
> Leopard (OSX 10.5).
>
> Leopard was installed as an update, which left previous files in place,
> including gnucash 2.0.4. GnuCash is a mission critical application. Since
> had much trouble trying to get it back up on the MacBook, I installed it
> (without problems) on a Dell running Win-XP. But my primary computer is
> the
> Mac, so I'm still trying to get it to run on the MacBook.
>
> I'm seriously frustrated. USING gnucash has been effective, but
> MAINTAINING
> it, with my limited skills, has been awful.
>
> An aside: we could sure use a pre-compiled Mac binary.
>
> After much frustration, I decided to clean house and reinstall. The
> subsequent install also failed.
>
> Can I get some help, please?
>
> So far, I have done the following:
>
> 1. deleted the entire Fink structure (/sw, which I wasn't using anyway)
> 2. deleted the entire MacPorts structure (/opt, including gnucash)
> 3. reviewed install instructions including
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/MacPortsDetail
> 4. installed additional developer tools, including the X11 SDK
> 5. downloaded and installed a new version of MacPorts (1.520)
> 6. sudo ports selfupdate
> 7. sudo port install gnucash (gnucash 2.2.1, Revision 2,)
>
> Install quit while building tiff-3.8.2
> (transcript attached)
>
> After this install attempt, MacPorts reported
>
> bash-$ port installed
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   atk @1.20.0_1 (active)
>   cairo @1.4.10_0 (active)
>   expat @2.0.1_0 (active)
>   fontconfig @2.4.2_1+macosx (active)
>   freetype @2.3.5_0 (active)
>   gettext @0.17_0 (active)
>   glib2 @2.14.2_2+darwin_9 (active)
>   gwenhywfar @2.5.3_0 (active)
>   jpeg @6b_2 (active)
>   ktoblzcheck @1.13_0 (active)
>   libiconv @1.11_6 (active)
>   libpng @1.2.22_0 (active)
>   libxml2 @2.6.30_0 (active)
>   pango @1.18.3_0 (active)
>   pkgconfig @0.22_0 (active)
>   render @0.9_1 (active)
>   Xft2 @2.1.12_0 (active)
>   xorg-util-macros @1.1.5_0 (active)
>   xorg-xproto @7.0.11_1 (active)
>   xrender @0.9.0_1 (active)
>   zlib @1.2.3_1 (active)
> bash-$

The error line at the bottom of the build shows the problem. I've
noticed this issue when building small OpenGL applications on Leopard.
The issue is the OpenGL library files exist in two places:
/usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib
and
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/

and the compiler is getting confused when linking against both of them.

I solved this on my simple application by removing -L/usr/X11/lib from
the compile line.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to change the macports stuff to do that.
You could certain file a bug with the macports people and tell them that
is the problem.

For now I've just kept the gnucash that was there from my Tiger install
that I "archived and installed" so I'm still running that version of
gnucash (which seems to work fine). I figure maybe over the holidays in
December I'll see if the macports people have everything working on
Leopard yet.

Dave
--
  David Reed