GnuCash + logging

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Oct 8 18:53:05 EDT 2007

(I fixed the misspelling in the Subject :p)

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz <gnucash at numerixtechnology.de> writes:
> I find it totally inconvenient having to replay the logs manually. My

I'm sure it is.

> During my first session, I had created a new account. Log import does
> not recreate the account and any transactions against the new
> account ended up in Orphan-GBP.

Yup; this is one of the known issues about logging and log replay:
<http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?query=product%3AGnuCash+replay>

> Also, I would like to know how to provide you with the necessary debug
> info so you have a chance to fix the duplicate record bug. If any

(Didn't you just make this same offer this morning?  You might want to give
the process a bit more time...)

The key thing for bug fixing is reproducibility.  If you can identify a
100%-reproducible sequence of steps to trigger the crash, it's far more
likely to be a fixable problem.  It sounds like normal usage will provoke the
crash frequently enough to be useful however...

If you're willing to make your datafile public, we could see if someone can
reproduce the crash.  It's understandable that you'd not want to make it
public.  Perhaps you can privately send it to me, and I can attempt to
reproduce.

Even better would be to have 100%-reliable reproduction instructions from a
new/empty datafile.  You might want to create a new or test datafile, just to
see if the problem is reproducible there.

If you're inclined, it would be good to provoke the crash in gdb, if only to
get the stack trace at the point of that crash; that itself might be
illustrative, but I doubt it will alone be useful.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}