Set Up Stock Druid?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 15:32:02 EDT 2007

I have been working with my stock portfolio just now (GC2.0.5 from Fink on an
IntelMac 10.4.10), and I think it would be nice if there were some sort of "Add
a Stock to My Portfolio" druid. What I am envisioning is some form that
collects basic information (Stock Name, Ticker Symbol, price, shares bought,
date bought, commission, etc.) and then sets up the necessary accounts and
related stuff. I found the process of adding a new stock to be very
daunting--even with the tutorial. And then, once I "owned" the stocks in
GnuCash, I had to remember to create the appropriate Income account (which I
forgot until I was in the middle of entering a dividend transaction...) and be
sure the Security is entered into the Get Prices part of things. It would also
be nice if GnuCash could take a ticker symbol and supply the rest of the info
(Company Name, Exchange, etc.).

I understand that my needs are probably not the same as anyone else's, but I
wondered how/whether I could go about making my own such druid, which I might
then share back to the community if I actually got it to work.

David