Report with configurable selection of accounts involved in transactions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 26 10:17:16 EDT 2007

Hi,

Quoting Olof Hjalmarsson <olof.hjalmarsson at gmail.com>:

> I'm in the process of evaluating software to track my familys money, and
> right now I feel that GnuCash and Buddi both have most of what I need.
> Unfortunately they both seems to miss one very important feature for me (at
> least I can't get find a way to do what I want).
> Since my girlfriend and I have a "mixed" economy, where we share the
> expenses for food and things regarding the car and house, we don't share the
> expenses for some private things like my DVD:s or my computer "toys" or her
> fashion magazines.
> Therefore I would like to be able to get a report that would show which of
> our private asset/bank accounts that pays for just a selection of the
> expense accounts (i.e the ones we share, and leaving out our private expese
> accounts).
>
> Is it possible to get a report to show some sort of diagram or summed up
> list of transactions that involves a selection of expense accounts and a
> selection of bank/asset accounts. The selection of accounts has to be
> configurable, as well as the date interval.

Each report does contain a bunch of report options that let you choose which
accounts to include in the report.  HOWEVER, it tends to be ONLY a set of
the Asset accounts, or Expense accounts..  Short of the Cash Flow report,
I don't think there's any report that will let you choose a subset of
Assets AND a subset of Expenses and only report on the union of those
choices.

The report options also allow you to choose the report dates.

> Is this possible? Do I have to dig into custom report creation using Scheme
> to acheive this?

It depends.  First thing to do is to choose the right report and then
go into the report options (click the "Options" button in the toolbar)
and play around.  Depending on exactly how you configure your accounts
it should be possible.