Invoice Issue

Vikas Garud vikas at techqual.com
Thu Aug 21 12:42:50 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have been using GnuCash for quite sometime now.  About a year back, I
started to use the business features to track finances of my proprietary
consulting business.  This is a good programme, working fine for me.
However, today I have run in some problem.

Couple of months back, I raised an invoice on a client, it was posted, printed
and sent to the client.  A couple of days back, I received the payment
(cheque) and today I processed the same.  Apparently it was processed - I did
not get any error message.

However, the amount does not show in the bank account.  On looking back in
Accounts Receivable the Invoice is seen, but without any amount either in
Invoice, or Payments.  For invoices till now, I actually see two entries, one
for invoice and the second appears once payment is processed.

When I opened this invoice for editing, it looks like any other invoice - in
Edit Invoice tab.  However, in Accounts Receivable, amounts are not present.

For experimentation, I opened an old version - about a month old - of the file
(.xac).  When I searched for the invoice, it was there (as expected) but
there was tick mark under "paid".  The mark shouldn't have been present,
because I had not processed the payment till today.

For further experimentation, I saved the file under another name and created
new invoice for the same client for same amount - with similar results.  The
amount field in Accounts Receivable shows a blank.  I tried to create an
Invoice for same action and same amount, but for another client, and there is
no problem.  When posted, the invoice shows the amount under "Accounts
Receivable" tab for the other client, but not for the client where I am
facing the problem.  Processing payment for this other client resulted into
second - Payment - entry in the Accounts Receivable account.

I looked through the log files created today - when I tried to process the
payment.  However, could not get any clue about what could be wrong.

I haven't searched through the mailing list achieves for two reasons.  I have
subscribed to the list for last three years and don't remember anything
similar discussed.  I am also not sure about what I should be searching.

What could be happening?  More important, How could I recover situation?  Any
help would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks
Vikas Garud