Funny currency exchanges?

musicman datakid at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 01:51:22 EDT 2008

Hola,

please find attached two pictures that do a better job of explaining than I can.

other info:
system: debian testing/"lenny"; fully up to date
gnucash: 2.2.6

Baiscally, the problem is:

I have some accounts:
Assets:Petty Cash: PC- AUD (Australian dollars)
and
Assets:Petty Cash:PC- IDR (indonedian rupiah)

The title's indicating which Currency that each is in. The immediate
parent account, Assets:Petty Cash is in AUD.

When I do the data entry of ATM withdrawals, I can see how many Rupiah
are withdrawn, and my Australian Bank account withdraws the equivalent
from my bank account. So, I usually use the "to amount" option, rather
than search down something more official or accurate - the rate the
bank gives me is a fine indicator.

What I am finding though, is that although my Assets:Bank Account is
in AUD, and records the transaction faithfully, and the Assets:Petty
Cash:PC- IDR records the transaction faithfully, when I look at the
general accounts page, the far right column, "Total (AUD)" is reading
the multi million rupiah column as AUD not as IDR.

Meaning that, despite all my wishes for it to be the truth, my
"current assests" total is in the realm of
AUD$128,740,000,000 (128 billion dollars, lols. I _would not_ be doing
the books if I had that much money).

Then warlord (in irc.gnome.org:#gnucash ) gave me advice to look at my
price editor in gnucash, and it has a bunch of funny prices (which
have all been entered using the dialogue box/"to amount" method.

The gnucash docs seem to be quite pretty, but my "price" column has
numbers like:
0+28729/250000000 or 0+4419099921/38199842000000 (which is my personal
favourite).

Am I doing something wrong?

cheers
L.

--
I am a rock, I am an "archipelago of the informal"