Some questions / requests from a QB convert

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Fri Feb 1 03:18:18 EST 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:20:03PM -0600, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> Hi - couple things I'm wondering about as a former Quickbooks user.
>
> 1. When I display a customer's invoices, is there any way to add the
> invoice amount to the search results?

I'm not sure what you mean here.

> 2. I recently sent a customer 3 invoices, he sent me one check.  Is
> there a way to apply a single payment to multiple invoices so my
> checking register matches my bank statements (a payment "split" I
> guess).  I'm guessing no as this seems kind of complicated and
> probably doesn't happen often.

Just set the amount of payment to the amount on the check instead of
the amount for the current invoice. It's important to note that
gnucash handles payments in a fifo manner. Payments are not applied
directly to individual invoices, but instead are applied to the
account as a whole. The earliest invoices will be marked as paid.

> 3. When entering data into the Checking Account / Credit Card
> registers is there a way to add a Vendor column in addition to the
> Description?

no. what are you trying to do with this? Please describe this (and 1)
more fully. thanks