"Find" no longer works

fml at petrel.rprc.washington.edu fml at petrel.rprc.washington.edu
Thu Feb 28 23:31:57 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 04:52:40PM -0500, Andrew Ruscica wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 12:58:58PM -0800, fml at petrel.rprc.washington.edu wrote:
> > For some time now, "Find" no longer works.  If I click on Edit/Find,
> > several small windows open and vanish before anything in them can be
> > read.  This used to work!
> >
> > I'm running gnucash-2.2.3 (Debian/lenny-testing).  I've similarly
> > whined on debian-users without getting any response.  Everything
> > else that I've tried works.
> >
> > If anyone has any clue regarding how to make this work once more -
> > or even how to get more revealing diagnostic clues, I'd appreciate
> > it.  (I tried running it with strace but didn't see anything helpful
> > in the deluge.)  I haven't (yet) tried building gnucash directly.
> >
> > Thanks for any constructive ideas you might have!
> >
> > 	-f
>
> Does your window manager happen to be fvwm? For me, gnucash does similar
> things under fvwm but is fine under kde. I'm running 2.2.2 on OpenSuse/i386.
>
> If that is the case, there was some discussion a couple months ago on this
> list, but as far as I know it's not yet resolved.

Andrew, your thought was right on.  I tried it with a Gnome desktop and "find"
worked perfectly.  Too bad, I really like fvwm.

I didn't see the earlier discussion, even with searching the mailing list
archives.

Thanks for your suggestion!  I'm surprised, it worked not that long ago.
Does anyone know if there are other apps that have this problem?  Then
we could perhaps get the necessary change in fvwm?

	-f