Multiple Businesses

Vahur Lokk vahur.lokk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 14:46:51 EST 2008

Gaston en Gmail wrote:
> I am considering to implement the system to manage my small business needs.
> I have been through most of the documentation but could not found any notice
> on how to manage multiple branches. Is there any multi business support on
> the system? If yes, is there a way to consolidate information for the
> "group". If not, can I save the problem by installing several times the
> system in different folders of the same machine to manage each
> company/Branch separately? Or at least re-direct the database access?

There is no clean way to manage multiple branches in one file. You will
have to use multiple files and as Derek wrote you can have as many of
them as you wish. Problem with this approach comes if you wish to
consolidate this data, as there is no clean way of merging multiple
files either (although it can be done if planned properly beforehand). I
did it recently for a big project in order to have a clear overview of
its profitability

Related to the last issue, I have a question of my own. One way to merge
multiple files is to use "replay log" feature. In my case (identical
account trees for files-to-be-merged) it worked well. Biggest problem I
encountered was that number of log files tends to get really big really
fast. As they are simple text files it should be in principle easy to
merge those many log files first and only then replay. Where can I find
some info, what I have to watch when merging them?

Wahur