Temporary File Deletion

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Jan 10 08:25:46 EST 2008

>Is it safe to delete the many temporary files that gnucash generates every time I open it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Keith

Something you do CAREFULLY.

What you need to remember is that you can't go back to a state before
your oldest pair of backups. So what you could/should do is relate this
to your other backup procedures. Since all computer users SHOULD be
making periodic backups of their data I will assume that to be the case.
It's not a matter if IF your computer fails and eats your data but WHEN
(so I simply won't advise for the situation of "no backup procedures").

Let me explain how I do it. In my case we do a full "user data backup"
every month. So the directory (file folder) which contains GnuCash data
would have been backed up along with everything else. Thus it is
perfectly safe for me to delete all the backup pairs that are over a
month old -- though if that included the latest*, I would leave that
pair of files. If I did need to go back, could always get the backup
disk out of the fire safe** and restore the directory to some prior state.

Michael

* The organization has a rather low volume of transactions, especially
during certain parts of the year, so conceivable I haven't bothered
entering the last few yet, waiting for a batch to build up so I'm not
just entering one (say the interest on our savings account, the only
transaction guaranteed to exist for a month).

** PS -- we had a house fire last year (2006) that melted backups.
Learned the lesson. Just having them on a shelf near the computer is NOT
adequate.