Register colors & appearance

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 12:55:09 EST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 12:34 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> "Donald Allen" <donaldcallen at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> I'll point out that Auto-Split mode ONLY expands the "current" transaction.
> >> So all the lines are single line except for the current cursor.
> >>
> >> Having said that, I agree that a new "smart split mode" would be nice
> >> where it will be single-line for basic txns and multi-line for
> >> split transactions...  And indeed I believe I filed an RFE for that
> >> years ago.
> >
> > Suppose you wanted to go back and edit a previously entered
> > transaction and add a split? If it didn't already have a split, you'd
> > have to click the 'split' button. Otherwise not. That feels odd to me.
> > I'm pretty happy with the current auto-split mode -- nice consistent
> > behavior, and I see no harm in expanding a transaction with just two
> > sides. So I hope that if this idea gets implemented, it is done as an
> > option, as a previous poster said above. I wouldn't want to see this
> > forced on us.
>
> Who said anything about forcing it on you?  I said "NEW ... mode".
> That doesn't mean removing any of the existing modes, or even
> changing the default mode.  Relax, we're not taking away your
> current happy interface.  I'd just like to see a new mode that's
> "better" than all the ones that we currently have (IMHO) as a new
> register view mode option.

Derek -- you have made derogatory statements in the past about options
and it wasn't completely clear from what you said about this idea
whether you had an option in mind or a modification to auto-split mode
(new "smart split mode" *could* be interpreted as adding new smarts to
the existing mode). So why don't *you* relax -- I was simply seeking a
clarification, which I got.

/Don