Problem creating a "Currency" account.

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Fri Jun 27 12:40:41 EDT 2008

On 27 June 2008 at 17:40, Daniel Carrera said:

> Hello,
>
> I just bought some stock (FXI) and I want to record it in GnuCash in the
> way described here:
>
> http://www.mscs.dal.ca/~selinger/accounting/gnucash.html
>
> That is, I want to setup an account called Currency::FXI and record my
> purchase with two transactions:
>
> 1. X Euros from Assets:Bank:MyBank to Currency:EUR
> 2. Y Shares from Currency:FXI to Assets:Stocks:FXI
>

> But GnuCash doesn't let me create Currency:FXI (stock account) the way the
> tutorial says.
>
> The tutorial says that Currency:* should all be set to income accounts.
> But GnuCash insists that income accounts can only have values denominated
> in currencies like Euros and Dollars. It doesn't let you have an income
> account denominated in stock or some commodity.

It does if you do it this way:
1. Create "Currency" as "Asset"
2. Create Currency:FXI as "Stock"
3. Edit "Currency" and change type to "Income"
4. Reply "ok" to "change children?" prompt
Result: an "Income" account denominated in a commodity.

Mind you, I haven't tested the consequences ... and you'll probably want
to make sure you add all the commodity accounts you expect to need, 'cos
adding more later is going to be tedious ...