How to get accurate info on gnucash releases

henrymds henryf61 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 15:59:25 EDT 2008

I am on v. 2.2.1 and tried to upgrade to 2.2.4 from source. I believed that
the new release fixed some problems I had. When I unzipped the tarball for
2.2.4 and printed the Readme file, it began with dire warnings about the
dangers of using this development release. I got scared, deleted everything
I had downloaded and went back to 2.2.1.

Later I read the heading more carefully. First problem is that it said it
was the readme for 2.1.x even though it came with the 2.2.4 package. Then it
stated that if you want something more stable, use the 2.0 stable series. I
find this extremely disturbing. If I can't rely on a package's own
documentation, what am I to do?  My 2.2.1 has presumably been tested and
found safe by Canonical. I appreciate warnings about pre-releases but what
good are completely obsolete warnings?

I would very much like to use the most recent *debugged* version of gnucash.
I am trying to move from Quicken to Ubuntu and this program is essential for
me (unless there is another checkbook program).

TIA for any help.

Henry Fallon