yet another QIF import problem

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 16:26:16 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:

> hello all,
>
> Just like so many other GnuCash users, I'm having trouble importing
> existing
> data. I have a QIF file exported from Moneydance, and GnuCash gives me the
> famous "QIF file parse failed: Data for number or date does not match a
> known
> format." I've read many messages here in the archives, and the GnuCash
> manual, and still I am not seeing the light. I'm running version 2.2.1 on
> Kubuntu. I tried building 2.2.4 from sources on a PCLinuxOS box, but after
> 300+ megabytes of ./configure, fail, install a new dependency,
> ./configure,
> fail, install a new dependency, ./configure, fail, install a new
> dependency,
> etc ad nauseum, I gave it up.

There have been so many fixes to the QIF importer since 2.2.1 that I've lost
count. Definitely upgrade to 2.2.4 before importing all your data! Others
here can probably help you with the compiling issues.

It's a 70k file, and here is a snippet. From what I've read everything looks
> correct, but obviously I'm missing something:

The small sample that you have shown here looks correct, and imports
perfectly into 2.2.4. So either 2.2.4 has fixed the problem, or the trouble
lies elsewhere within that 70k file.

You may have a better chance of spotting what exactly 2.2.1 is choking on if
you start GnuCash from a command line. The QIF importer sends some limited
diagnostic messages to standard output, which you should be able to see from
the command line. It may even tell you what actual content of the QIF file
is confusing the importer.

Cheers,
Charles

!Option:AutoSwitch