How do you record 529 Plan funds?

Geoff Catlin gcatlin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 21:40:32 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'd like to track a 529 College Savings Plan account and I'm having
trouble recording stock/fund purchases. I've set up some accounts:

Assets
  529 Plans
    Name of Plan Here
      Cash
      Funds

I added transactions to transfer money into the Cash account from
Equity:Opening Balances, but I'm stumped on how to record an actual fund
purchase. The fund in question is "Vanguard Age-Based Option: Aggressive
Track: Aggressive Growth Portfolio", it's particular to the 529 Plan and
is not publicly traded. How does one record this type of transaction? Is
it possible to add generic securities? Is there a better approach?

Thanks,

-Geoff