Reconciliation window: closing balance distorted and reconciliation date

Jannick Asmus jannick.news at gmail.com
Fri May 2 05:54:28 EDT 2008

Hi James,

thanks for your input.

On 02.05.2008 11:27, James Kerr wrote:
> On Friday 02 May 2008, Jannick Asmus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the following problems occur after opening the reconciliation window:
>>
>> 1. Closing balance inappropriate when reconciliation date is before date
>> of advanced transactions already reconciled:

> I always type in the closing balance from the bank statement. I think that's
> what you're supposed to do. There will often be a difference between the
> date transactions are recorded by the bank and the date you record them in
> gnucash.

That's correct with regard to the bank account. Here I get the current
balance with the online banking module. I think this is better. But
unfortunately this method does not apply to other accounts like tax
liabilities.

So the problem is still open.

>> 2. The default date is not the current date - _sometimes_. Does GC store
>> the date when it was manually changed? If so how can GC "forget" this
>> information?
>
> In my experience it assumes that the statement date is one month on from the
> date of the last statement. (This will not always be the case, depending on
> how your bank deals with weekends and holidays etc.) It only uses the
> current date if the next "due" date is later than the current date.

Hmm, I am not sure whether my GC behaves like this. It seems that for
some accounts there is a reconciliation date stored which is independent
of any other date like the current date.

> Jim

Best wishes,
J.