How to account for a purchase on credit card with reimbursement

Jannick Asmus jannick.news at gmail.com
Sat May 3 05:39:40 EDT 2008

Hi,

how to account for a payment of, say, a latte with credit card which is
reimbursed by the company I am with. The credit card bill is charged to
my personal bank account.

This question was brought up by Rayanag in the IRC last night - and I
promised to give an answer after some sleep terribly needed. :-)

First a simplified version, further down there is a more professional
version:

Simplified version:

- purchase on credit card (CC):
date: purchase
Dr Exp:Latte
Cr L:CC

- payment CC bill:
date: payment of bill/charge CC
Dr L:CC
Cr A:Bank

- claim on reimbursement:
date: payment of CC (*)
Dr A:Receivable (company)
Cr Exp:Latte

- reimbursement by company:
date: incoming payment
Dr A:Bank
Cr A:Receivable

(*) Note that this date could be questioned. I assumed that a receivable
can be accounted for after I have been charged, i.e. my bank account is
charged.

... and here the more professional version. It should make every
accountant happy I suspect. ;) Using employee's bills in GnuCash togther
with business features it can be easily realized in my opinion.

- purchase:
date: purchase
Dr Exp:Latte
Cr L:Employee's bills

- charge of employee's CC:
date: payment of bill/charge CC
Dr L:Employee's bills
Cr L:Employee's CC

- payment CC bill:
date: payment (**)
Dr L:CC
Cr A:Employee's bank account
Dr A:Receivable (company)
Cr L:Vendor (with debit balance)

- reimbursement by company:
date: incoming payment
Dr A:Bank
Cr A:Receivable
Dr L:Vendor
Cr Rev:Reimbursement

Note that there is no off-setting of expenses and revenues like in the
simplified version.

(**) The note (*) from above should apply here, too.

Comments are encouraged and, of course, are welcomed.

--
Best wishes,
J.

GC v2.2.5/WinXP