Default account for auto-interest payments

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue May 13 18:43:58 EDT 2008

Derek Atkins writes:

> Andreas Köhler <andi5.py at gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Hi,

>>> But it's not global.  It's per account.  And it's DEFINITELY not
>>> global across data files.
>>
>> A bad alternative, indeed.  Was just a test ;-)
>>
>>> Now, you COULD use a KVP entry to store it in the Account info.
>>
>> Or do you think one could save some flag as KVP slot of the payment
>> transaction and look up the latest transaction with that flag?  I am not
>> sure whether this feature is needed (of course it is ;-)) and which way
>> to go.  OTOH, it should not be too hard to implement or break backwards
>> compatibility.  So patches are welcome as usual.
>
> Well, what it does NOW is look backwards through the account looking
> for the most recent 'payment' transaction.   But we could create a
> new KVP entry to prevent the need for the search.  *shrugs*

Uh, what does "payment" mean, in this context? Because I've already
reconciled the same account more than once, and each time I had to manually
select the expense account for the interest bucket, posting the resulting
entry to the register, with the correct interest expense account. The next
time I went to reconcile the account, the auto-interest dialog still came up
with the bad default.