dealing with invoices and QIF imports

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed May 28 10:59:01 EDT 2008

Leigh Morresi <dgtlmoon at gmail.com> writes:

> hi all
>
> Ok i just tried to import my QIF by typing "Assets: Accounts Receivable"
> into the "To Account:" field of the .QIF importer.
>
> To cut this short - im getting this new account show up after i import
>
> "* Assets 2    QIF Import: name conflict with another account
>   * Accounts Receivable  $0.00
> "
>
> as per the advice of someone from this list to type in the A/R account

Yeah, that was bad advice.  The problem here is that A/R is
an Asset account, but as far as the QIF is concerned it's
Income.  You should make a new account, Income:QIF-Consulting,
and use that for the QIF importer.

Then, after you import the QIF you can manually verify that all
those transactions match your business transactions... And remove
the duplicates from I:Q-C.

Unfortunately QIF just doesn't play well with Business.