"Tools > Close Book" doesn't seem to do what I want, i.e., to shrink gnucash file by rolling up transactions

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.brookline.ma.us
Mon Nov 24 12:25:27 EST 2008

Thank you for confirming that "Close Book" isn't intended to do what I want.

However, your suggested solution is not terribly helpful.  Yes, I know that
I could create a new set of books and create opening balances for all my
accounts by hand.  However, it's ridiculous for me to have to do something
tedious and time-consuming by hand which clearly could be done
automatically.

I wrote a Perl script to parse the GnuCash XML and do this automatically
almost three years ago.  I even sent a copy of it to this mailing list.  I
think it's sort of ridiculous that almost three years later, this obvious
functionality still isn't available inside the program.

(As for why I don't use my script, it's because (a) I haven't checked
recently to see whether it is compatible with the current schema, (b) it has
a couple of minor deficiencies that I still know about, and (c) I was hoping
not to have to take the time to do (a) and (b).)

Simply put: For those of us who use GnuCash to run our personal finances,
not a business, there should be an automatic way to roll over into a new
GnuCash file while preserving the balances of all accounts.

  jik