"Tools > Close Book" doesn't seem to do what I want, i.e., to shrink gnucash file by rolling up transactions

Braindead Braindead at diablops.com
Mon Nov 24 12:42:50 EST 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:37:16 -0500 "Jonathan Kamens" <jik at kamens.brookline.ma.us> wrote:
> So, apparently there are at least two different people who have
> written the same external program to automate this task.  I think
> that speaks rather forcefully to the point that this is something
> that people want to be able to do and the functionality should be
> available directly within GnuCash.
>
> "Braindead", please don't bother cleaning up your program on my
> account -- as I mentioned before, I've already got a Perl script to
> do the same thing, so if you're only going to the effort to help me,
> you can punt :-).

Looks like it still works, pretty though it is not ;-).

I wouldn't be surprised if your perl script posting here gave me the idea to write my own just to get to know the GnuCash data files.  I only actually used it once in 2005, never bothered again.  My file uncompressed is only running a bit under 4meg though.