wondering if gnucash is suitable for this task. Advice?

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 10:16:30 EDT 2008

Robert Smits wrote:

> Hi. I'm a financial agent for a political party riding association. I do just
> this with Gnucash.
>
> What I do is create, under income, an account called contributions. Under
> contributions I create individual accounts for every contributor. When I get
> a contribution, I allocate it to that contributor.
>
> Now, when I do a cash report, I can see at a glance the total amount donated
> by each contributor. If I click on an individual contributor in the cash flow
> report, I can see when they made a particular contribution.

Thank you, this is very encouraging.

When you do a cash report, are you also able to print out a receipt for
the customer? The guys here want to use that receipt so that the donor
can obtain tax credit.

Meanwhile, I am preparing a new system for these guys. It will have
Ubuntu on it. I am also looking at ledgersmb (www.ledgersmb.org) but it
appears to me (to my untrained eye in accountancy) that it might be an
overkill for just this task and gnucash may be better manageable.

Regards.