gnucash and Simply Accounting

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 14:30:09 EDT 2008

Cam Ellison wrote:

> I notice that the 2008 version for accountants uses a MySQL backend,
> which suggests the possibility that it may accept text or spreadsheet
> files.  You can export Gnucash reports in html, use Paste Special to put
> it into an Oo.o Calc spreadsheet, and save it in Excel format or even as
> a .txt file aligned for MySQL.  Bit of a kludge, but not very involved.
>
> Older versions are apparently able to import data from Quicken and MYOB,
> which suggests that it accepts QIF.
>
> The question to ask of the accountant is in what formats will they
> accept (not want) the data.  Maybe you should start there.

Yup, that is the process I am in now. The problem is that the people at
the community center are not very familiar with computers. The
accountant they hired just gave them a copy of Simply Accounting eons
ago and asked them to send their data in its format. I will be surprised
if the accountant even comes to the place at all. So I will probably
have to wait when I talk to the guys at the center next time and explain
to them what information I need. I am expecting they will try to get me
in touch with the accountant.

In any case, from the feedback I am getting so far, the 'donations'
account is probably just for the center itself and not to be shared with
the accountant (only the total figures will appear in the center's
books). So I am expecting not to have to deal with this problem of
supporting Simply Accounting from Gnucash at all.

Now only if I can convince them to use LedgerSMB. But the bottleneck is
their adherence to Simply Accounting.

Thanks.