balance sheet rollup-totals are $0

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Tue Sep 9 18:48:35 EDT 2008

Charles Day [mailto:cedayiv at gmail.com] wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Stuart McGraw <smcg4191 at frii.com> wrote:
> > When I display a Balance Sheet report, rollup-totals display
> > as $0.
> >[...]
>
> By default, those various parent accounts ("Current Assets",
> for example) don't include the children's balances. Check your
> report options. On the "display" tab, change the "parent account
> balances" option.

Gosh, how embarrassingly simple.  Thanks!  I keep forgetting
that reports have options. :-(

> >[...]
> > (Also, any way to tell Gnucash to suppress the "USD" texts,
> > i.e. only explicitly display the currency when it is not
> > the same as the default?)
>
> I don't know the answer, but I suspect that has something to do
> with your locale. When I run a balance sheet with multiple currencies,
> instead of "USD" I see "$".  I only see the three-letter symbols on
> non-US currencies.

Yes, when I set the Windows locale to English-US, Gnucash
displays dollar amounts prefixed with "$" and yen amounts
prefixed with "JPY" which is what I'd prefer to see.  Unfortunately,
for several reasons I have to keep the system-wide locale set
to Japanese.

Any idea how to run Gnucash under Windows with an application-
specific locale?  On *nix I guess I would do something like
  LANG=en_US /usr/bin/gnucash ...
but I don't know what the Windows equivalent would be.  I tried
adding the line
  SET LANG=en_US
in the gnucash.bat file without effect.