Package dependencies

Eric Anopolsky erpo41 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 14:25:21 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 13:17 -0400, Josh Sled wrote:
> Gordon Kindlmann <gk at bwh.harvard.edu> writes:
> > peer to the one for Windows. Right now the difficulty in getting it
> > compiled for my mac (I killed the compilation after ~12 hours) has
> > meant that I just can't spend any more time figuring it out, and have
>
> How is waiting for compilation difficult?

If he starts the compilation in the evening, lets it run all night long,
and it still isn't done in the morning when he has to leave for work,
then he's not going to get much typing done in the passenger seat of his
buddy's car on the way to work if gcc is sucking up CPU cycles the whole
time.

Also, when some processes (e.g. software installation or starting a car)
take a two orders of magnitude more time than they should, people begin
to suspect that something is wrong and stop trying. I see that as being
qualitatively different from simple impatience.

I think the solution to this problem is pretty clear. Either fink needs
a progress bar (does it have one already?) and a warning that installing
certain packages is a weekend project, or gnucash needs to be
distributed in the same way as other mac apps.

Cheers,
Eric