how to implement GST/VAT splits?

J. Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 16:59:13 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 13:41:43 +1100,  Andrew Greig
<algreig at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> (For the benefit of other readers, outside of Australia: ATO =
> Australian Tax Office, and GST = Goods and Services Tax, similar to VAT
> elsewhere)
>
> I copied the set up in MYOB.  I created 2 GST accounts under Liabilities
> - one is GST paid, the other is GST Collected, I set them up under a
> place-holder account called "GST Payable to ATO" (note the presumption
> of profit?). So the Parent account for "GST Payable to ATO" is
> "Liabilities", and the Placeholder and Tax related check boxes are
> checked.

Perhaps I am mistaken on this but I believe that there are two 'tax
systems' in gnucash that shouldn't be confused with each other: an
'income tax' system (the Tax related check box in the account
maintenance dialog, the Edit-Tax Options dialog, and the Tax Report)
and a 'sales tax' system that is part of the business features related
to billing and payables. I believe you are using the 'sales tax'
features to satisfy your GST needs.

Why do you check the Tax related check box in the account maintenance
dialog? Does it actually make any difference whether this is checked
or not for what you are trying to do?

> In the two sub-accounts, only the Tax related checkbox is checked, and I
> used the name in the description field as well (not really important).

<snip>

> Andrew Greig
>
> Melbourne, Australia.

Alex