Multiple files open in GnuCash at once?

Axel Essbaum axelessbaum at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 06:26:24 EDT 2009

On Apr 13, 2009, at 12:01 AM, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Axel Essbaum wrote:
>> I am trying to use GnuCash to manage accounting info for two small
>> businesses, one in the US and one in Switzerland.
>>
>> Is it possible for me to set up different preferences for each
>> business?  Obviously I want the currencies different (USD and CHF),
>> but I'd also like to have different date formats for each business.
>>
>> Is it possible for me to have two GnuCash windows open at the same
>> time - one for each business (with the different currencies, etc.)?
>
> 1. Yes, use two different data files
> 2. Yes, you can open these data files separately with
> gnucash /home/Axel/gnucash_data/swiss
> and
> gnucash /home/Axel/gnucash_data/us
> if you called them swiss and us
> and saved them under /home/Axel/gnucash_data/

Yes, but when I make any changes to the preferences of either file, it
affects both files.

Meaning, if in the Swiss business I do Edit->Preferences and change
the Default Currency to CHF, the default currency for the US business
is also changed to CHF.  This happens when I change the Default Report
Currency as well - both files change to the new currency.

Vikas, when you change default currency in Linux, does it only affect
one file or all files?

--
Axel Essbaum
axelessbaum at gmail.com