Gnucash and Ameritrade

Dave Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 15 17:29:39 EDT 2009

Chris Wynkoop wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I use gnucash and Ameritrade to track my finances.  I've got quite a few
> transactions so I really would like to take advantage of the OFX import
> feature.  Here's what I'm trying:
> 1. I download the OFX data from Ameritrade using ofx.py
> 2. I import this data to gnucash and it kind of works.
>
> * It tries to import several DeSoToTICKER type stocks...what are these?
> * It doesn't update my Margin subaccount, is this feature not supported?
>
> Thanks!

The DeSotozzz's are ticker symbols related to pending/canceled/expired
trade orders. If you hit Cancel in every dialog that shows a DeSotozzz,
the import results will improve. Libofx doesn't handle the unexecuted
trade orders anyway, so no sense assigning a bogus ticker symbol in your
database.

The margin subaccount may be a separate financial institution. The
default money market sweep account is not technically TDAmeritrade, so
it's really hard to balance cash to the penny since they sort of
outsourced sweep accounts. I don't have a margin account, so I can't
answer directly, but your problem could be either that libofx doesn't
support the margin ofx tags or that TDA is treating it as an outside
financial institution.

Dave
--
David Reiser