Usage question: equity balance not reflecting change in asset balance

Dominic Ashton dominic.ashton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 22:16:11 EDT 2009

Hello all,

I have set up GNUCASH using the user guide supplied with the software,
and part of that involved me inputting:

Opening balance $2000

etc. in my checking account etc. The account I transferred to was
"Equity: Opening balance"

And everything was balanced and fine. However, now after I have added
a number of expenses, although the balance of my checking account etc.
is showing up correctly, the equity is still showing the previous
balance (as if the expenses never happened).

I went through the tutorial again:
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/txns-puttoget1.html#txns-puttoget-add2
and the same phenomena can be witnessed in the tutorial, where the
assets are 1781.79, the liabilities are 500 dollars, but the equity is
1500 dollars. However, no reference is made to this in the
documentation.

I'm sure this must be really really simple, but a quick scan of the
documentation and a google search did not reveal anything. Can someone
point me to the correct page in the docs?

Thanks,

Dominic