Updating GC in Jaunty

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 13 00:08:33 EDT 2009

> I have installed ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop and found that
> GnuCash is at 2.2.6.  I downloaded and extracted the
> 2.2.9 tar.gz.  So far I cannot see that it was updated
> (the icon and also the About screen both say 2.2.6).
> What do I need to do to update GC to 2.2.9 inside Jaunty?

My quick read (or the way I've managed to do it)

Step one, before or after downloading the tar file, run the following command

sudo apt-get build-dep gnucash

This gets everything needed to make gnucash

Step two, unpack everything from the tar file (I always put it on my Desktop, but you can put it anywhere)

Step three, in terminal, cd to where you copied GNUCash and then run "./configure" in terminal (I believe --help will show you the options, I've NEVER run it with options, but I've been running Ubuntu less than a week now)

Assuming all is well in Step three

Step four, same terminal run "make" (may take a while)

Assuming all is well in Step four

Step five, same terminal run "sudo make install" again, this may take a while.

Once that's all done, in theory, it should be installed (at least it was for me)

I still can't get Finance Quote to get non-US currency, but other than that mine is functioning fine.

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com